While trying to create a backup using Backup Manager in Plesk, you may encounter the following error.
Unable to backup database 'XXXXXXXXXX'
Cannot open backup device 'C:\Parallels\Plesk\Backup\XXXXXXXXX.co.nz\databases\XXXXXXXXX-29\test'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
(Error code 21)
This error occurs because when the file system permissions for the database engine access is not configured or is wrongly configured. The database engine services may not have permission of windows file system to the access the location where the database files are stored.
In a Windows server, the backups are stored in C:\Parallels\Plesk\Backup. You can follow the below steps to apply necessary windows file system permission to C:\Parallels\Plesk\Backup folder
1. Right click on the folder C:\Parallels\Plesk\Backup.
2. Click Properties
3. Select Security
4. Click on Edit
5. Click on Add
6. In From this location field select your computer name.
7. In Enter the object names to select field enter NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER
8. Click on Check Names. This check often fails and might show the warning as the name was not found. When you click OK, a dialogue box showing Multiple Names Found appears.
9. Click OK to return to the Permissions dialogue box.
10. Under Group or user names, select (NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER). and then under Permissions for <user> select the allow check box for Full control.
11. Click OK twice to exit.
Now you can rerun the backup task from Backup manager in Plesk panel.