FTP using Filezilla
FileZilla installation on Windows
1. Download filezilla for windows from: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1
2. After the download of the correct package, execute the package.
3. The License Agreement screen will appear. Click on the "I Agree button".
4. Next screen will have 2 options whether every user of the OS can work with the FTP client or it is allowed only for the admin account. Choose one and click the Next button to proceed.
5. Select the components which you want to install. Then click the Next button.
6. The next window allows you to set the destination folder for the FileZilla installation.Click the Next button to continue.
7. Choose the Start Menu folder and click on the Install button.
The installation process is completed.
How to use FileZilla FTP client
After the installation the FileZilla will be listed in the program list in the 'Start Menu'. Open it.
1. Open your FileZilla installation and enter the following details:
Hostname - enter domain name or the name of the hosting server where your account resides.
Username - enter the FTP username.
Password - enter the corresponding FTP password.
Port - enter the FTP port (by default it is 21)
Click on the Quickconnect button to establish the FTP connection.
2. Site Manager
Quickconnect settings are erased each time when the program is restarted. By using'Site Manager' you don't have to enter the details of the server every time when the program is started and helps you to easily access the server.
1. click File
2. Select'Copy current connection to Site Manager'
3. It will open the Site Manager with the server details filled in to the appropriate fields.
4. Give the entry a name
5. Click and Exit
By using'Site Manager' you don't have to enter the details of the server every time when the program is started.
3. Manage Files Using FileZilla
i. To edit a file's code and update - Right-click on the chosen file and pick the View/Edit option.
The file will be opened in the default text editor. Edit it and save the changes made. The FTP client will recognize the file modifications. It will prompt you to upload the modified file back on the server and delete the local copy from your computer.
ii. Uploading - In the left pane, there is pane "Local Site'. There you can navigate through the files on your computer.
To upload a file to the site:
1. Navigate to the files on your computer that you want to put on the server.
2. If you want to upload the files to a certain location on your website (for eg: to a folder called 'pictures') make sure you have opened that folder by doubling clicking it from your 'Remote Site' pane.
3. Select the files.
4. Right Click your files and select Upload.
iii. Download - this option allows you to download files and folders from the remote server to your local computer. This is exact opposite of uploading. Select your files from 'Remote Site' pane and Right Click and select Download. You can copy entire folders, create new folders and do everything just the same as when uploading.
iv. Add files to queue - allows to schedule a later transfer of the files.
v. Create Directory - allows you to create a new folder under your current location.
vi. Delete - you can delete the files and folders by 'right click' and select Delete.Once you delete something it is permanently removed and can only be uploaded/downloaded again if you have a backup copy.
vii. Rename - rename any file or folder by 'right clicking' the file and selecting Rename.